But then, my dad discovered Bert's Automotive. It's one of the shops he looks after in the AAA network, and he stopped in and asked to see their spring station, and he said it would fit. I had my doubts, but stopped by and left my spring. An hour later... voila! Spring replaced. For $10. Pfew! Less than 2 weeks before we leave.
Two days later, my friend Danimo helped me put the beast back together and get her running again. My KLR now has a new rear tire (we'll need as much rubber as possible for the 4200+ mile journey, and we'll have to replace them in Alaska for the ride back). It has stiffened rear suspension. And we installed the fork brace/stabilizer. I had Danimo bounce up and down on the rear spring (he has 80 lbs on me), and it looked good. I took a ride with my wife around the city and up/down the steepest hill I've seen in KC. And it felt better. Pretty soon (6 days), I'll know for sure.